22 January 2018

TouchPro V6.0.1

The requests that I’d received to have multiple saved settings in TouchPro looked a really good idea to me because it fitted perfectly with my own usage of TouchPro. It seemed like a no-brainer to have them incorporated as the core modus operandi for V6.0; but I was wrong!

In doing the changes for multiple saved settings in V6.0, I also removed 3 context menu operations because they no longer felt as intuitive to me as they had in prior versions. I thought that the need to pick a .tpsettings file resulted in the loss of context of the menu action, and consequently I felt it was more intuitive to do those operations interactively using the main dialog facilities as mentioned in my prior post.

After releasing V6.0 we soon received email from unhappy existing customers who’d updated to it, but then wanted to go back to V5.4. They were familiar with the existing version and had incorporated its behaviour into their normal workflow; so, far from being a useful feature for them, multiple settings had no advantage, and the loss of the menu items was detrimental to ease of use for them.

V6.0.1 Changes

With this update I’ve tried to accommodate both the multiple settings in V6.0, and the simple single settings of prior versions. In order to keep things straightforward for anyone who prefers it, you can enable single settings mode and work essentially in the same way as you have with prior versions.

The 3 restored context menu items work in both single and multiple settings modes. In the former, the behaviour is as it was for V5.4; in multiple settings mode, they also involve selecting a .tpsettings file. To try to counter my original worry that this step could loose context, the caption texts for the selection dialog incorporates wording to clarify which context menu operation you’re doing.

I hope this version proves successful in satisfying existing V5.4 users and those who will find multiple settings beneficial. I’m sure you’ll let me know if it doesn’t, but please let me know if it does too; it’s always good to hear how you use our software so that I don’t make incorrect assumptions in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment